Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if I get lost?
We know that this is a big fear for many Year 7’s and we work hard to help you know your way.
Things to help you:
- Check out the virtual tour online – get to know some of the main buildings and corridors before you come.
- On your first day, you will be given a map of the school and a tour
- If you get lost, please ask - everyone will be happy to show you around (they all remember their first day)
- Look out for signs on the staircases to show which way to go
- Don’t worry - we know that it takes time to find your way around – you won’t get in trouble if you are late to lessons because you are lost.
What do I do if I am struggling in a lesson?
Learning can’t always be easy – sometimes you should find the work difficult as this is part of learning. However, if you always find the work very difficult or are struggling to know how to complete a task, looking for help is the right thing to do.
A few tips if you are struggling in a lesson:
- Look again at the task or the board to see if there are instructions on what to do
- If it is suitable, ask the person next to you for help
- Put up your hand and ask the teacher
If you are struggling with Home Learning, you can:
- Go and find the teacher to ask for further support
- Speak to your friends (but don’t copy as that’s not learning)
- Show the work to your parents / carers
- Try doing some independent research e.g. BBC Bitesize (but again don’t copy, that’s plagiarism which is a fancy word for stealing someone’s else’s work as your own)
- Put a comment on SMHW to ask for help
If you ALWAYS find the work difficult:
In this situation, it is probably best to try to talk to the teacher on their own. Depending on when you see them, you might be able to see them before the lesson or after the lesson. We promise – Gladesmore teachers want to help you, so they will do their best if you are struggling.
What do I do if I feel unwell?
What happens if I lose my timetable?
What happens if I forget my lunch or have no lunch money?
How many assemblies do I have a week and where do I go for them?
What happens if I forget my PE kit?
How can I make friends?