The potential for the Internet to be valuable and a fun resource for entertainment, communication and learning is huge, but it is important to remember the risks and dangers associated with it, especially with the increased use of this technology. It is likely that your child will be spending more time on devices than usual, especially when they are doing remote learning. It is therefore more important than ever that parents are digitally aware.
What’s the problem?
Higher screen time can put your child more at risk of:
- Being bullied online
- Abuse and grooming (when someone builds a relationship with a child to exploit or abuse them)
- Seeing inappropriate content
- Not getting enough sleep and exercise
Setting Parental Controls
For an interactive guide on how to set parental controls on the most common devices children may use, please follow this link: https://thekeysupport.com/demos/elearning-parental-controls-on-devices-20-21/index.html#/
Please note: when following the instructions below, the exact steps you need to take may be a little different depending on the device and software version you’re using.
Leaflets and Resources
As part of their #WakeUpWednesday campaign, National Online Safety have created free online safety guides for schools to share with parents and carers. These guides aim to inform parents/carers regarding risks associated with using the Internet and use of digital devices across a range of online platforms and the recommended measures that can be taken to prevent them.
- 12 Social Media Online Safety Tips
- Age ratings
- From Online Gaming to Online Gambling Recognising the Signs
- Guide to Home Internet Control
- Grooming and online sexual abuse
- Hidden photo apps
- How to manage what your children watch on TV
- How to spot fake news
- Policing vs Parenting Get to grips with gaming
- Screen addiction
- Social Media
- Social Pressures Linked to Appearance
- Social Pressures Linked To Friends and Followers
- Social Pressures Linked to Social Media Influencers
- Virtual reality
- What Parents Need to Know About Online Grooming